|In The News
Jean Sweeney Open Space Park Fund
The Jean Sweeney Open Space Park is a very large project. In fact, many small projects will be planned thoughout the development. Donations of services, materials, and funding will be needed to acomplish each phase.
Projects will be listed here with an 'Active" indication for projects presently being worked on. Donations may be directed to a specific project or to the fund in general. Each project will have a 'Project Page' with information specific to that project including estimated costs, a list of donations received through this fund, and a progress report.
- On July 18th, 2017 the construction of the Cross Alameda Trail and the clearing of the entire park started. Construction company McGuire & Hester is doing the work for Phase I to make this into the great 27 acre park Jean Sweeney dreamed about.
This picture shows the work at the Sherman Street entry of the Cross Alameda Trail. The trail at this point will adventually meet up with an extention of the trail to be built by Tim Lewis Communities, the developer of the Del Monte building across Sherman street.
- Park Benches with Donor Statement Plaque
"Active" Bench donations are being accepted for benches to be placed along the Cross Alameda Trail and the East end phase of construction.
- Costal Oak Tree protection
- Community Garden: Space cleanup
'Future' Dates to be determined
On Jaunary 18, 2014 a community volunteer day sponsored by Alameda County Supervisor Wilma Chan was held in the space behind the Alameda Food Bank Trailer
- Belt Line Railroad building at Sherman St.: Exterior renovation
In the spring of 2013, the Church of Latter Day Saints took on this project as the Morman Church's yearly community project.
Return to Main Page
Published on: August 16, 2017